A Holiday Recipe from the AyurVedic Cooking for Kapha Dosha: Cooked Apple Chutney (Serves 4)
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seeds
6 medium size red delicious or other sweet apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1⁄3 cup (80 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
1⁄4 cup (60 ml) raw brown sugar (optional)
1⁄1⁄3 teaspoon nutmeg
1⁄1⁄3 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄1⁄3 teaspoon cardamom
1⁄4 cup (60 ml) roasted walnuts
2 tablespoons dried coconut flakes
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Add cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds and sauté until they darken.
- Add the apples, orange juice, sugar, and ground spices.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook stirring frequently for about 1⁄2 hour or until chutney is thick and glazed.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the coconut and walnuts.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.